Southern Greenland Idea

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Dblcut3
Donation rank:

17 Aug 2016 22:18

So, I downloaded 2.1 and saw that Svalbard was added (Awesome!)

So, here is my proposal for adding Southern Greenland and the challenging road network there.

What many people don't know about southern Greenland is that there is indeed a road network - just not a good one. While there is one large paved road being made as we speak, there are a ton of small challenging dirt roads between villages.

Why add Greenland? Simple: it is absolutely beautiful, and the roads will be a fun challenge to drive.

Here's some examples of the road network in southern greenland:
http://blueice.gl/wp-content/uploads/20 ... rsaq01.jpg
https://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/pho ... 434917.jpg
In addition, some of these roads are on Google Street View (Qassiarsuk, Narsaq)

The area also has large mining, fishing, and farming industries.

This is obviously a far fetched scenario, but adding the remote roads of Southern Greenland would provide a challenge and amazing scenery unlike anywhere else in Promods. Thanks for reading this idea :D

Vøytek
Developer

17 Aug 2016 22:37

Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Dblcut3
Donation rank:

17 Aug 2016 22:57

Zniwek wrote:Take a look here: http://promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13432
I made a new thread because that one failed to point out that there are actual roads there that could make this a feasible project.

Vøytek
Developer

17 Aug 2016 23:26

Failed? I think it was said that there are roads but not for heavy trucks and there are no ferries for trucks if I understood that discussion correctly.
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

Callipso
Donation rank:

18 Aug 2016 04:21

You did Zniwek, I think the problem lies in the fact that those roads are all dirt roads that would not really be seeing much use by large 18 wheeler Semi's not to mention it looks as if most of them are carved out by ATV's on a joy ride across the landscape more than really usable routes to anywhere or anything significant.

First problem with this idea is one Zniwek has mentioned already. No Ferries go to Greenland at all, perhaps one that takes tourists out there, though nothing that takes trucks laden with cargo. If there was a ferry it would likely be a route connected to Canada and not Europe, that would mean it would be an ATS project, Promods has not yet begun work on ATS yet.

Second, no real maintained roads that are used to transport goods from place to place. Given there are likely some vehicles on the Island to do such transport on the network of dirt roads. The system is not designed to accommodate your heavy hauling traffic and make it safe to be driving things around.

Third, and is a point I raised. All the goods that Greenland uses is provided by ships once freight gets to the harbor the goods are already where they should be, if not its probably shipped by smaller vans or shorter trucks as there is no real major industries that would require large amounts of freight.

ETS2-User
Developer

18 Aug 2016 05:42

You could say all these things for Svalbard as well though, except for the ferry to Canada since there is no ferry at all irl.
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

Deleted_user_720154

18 Aug 2016 12:39

ETS2-User wrote:You could say all these things for Svalbard as well though, except for the ferry to Canada since there is no ferry at all irl.
Well add Canada XD

Dblcut3
Donation rank:

18 Aug 2016 19:48

Yeah I understand it isn't realistic - but neither is a ferry to Svalbard. And Svalbard has no roads at all between towns, so technically its just as unrealistic.

Just an idea, but yeah I get it's a far fetched one. ;)

Callipso
Donation rank:

19 Aug 2016 21:39

then who knows, maybe it will be included in a ATS Promods version like Svalbard, a surprise

martinusK

20 Aug 2016 08:41

ArdaTR68 wrote:
ETS2-User wrote:You could say all these things for Svalbard as well though, except for the ferry to Canada since there is no ferry at all irl.
Well add Canada XD
If only mappping was that easy..but you can give it a shot ;)
ProMods developer for Estonia Image
Currently working on another bit of Estonia, you'll see it in the Euromir thread soon enough

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information