Shady ads on link

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Speedbird52

18 Nov 2016 03:42

Hi, whenever I click the free adfly link, I get very shady ads. When I clicked the link, I got "download manager" ad below the real download link. I also ended up getting a popup when I clicked the download link. Look I know you need to keep your site alive but endangering peoples security is not the way to do it!

ScuL
Founder

18 Nov 2016 05:09

The ads are generated based on other sites you visit, if you visit many torrent sites or other such stuff then those ads will be served.
There is a big button on the top right stating SKIP AD, which should allow you to free yourself from any hassle within less than 5 seconds.
If that isn't enough there's always the paid option which completely bypasses any ads.
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

ETS2-User
Developer

18 Nov 2016 12:18

Pop-ups usually appear when you have an adblocker active.
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

LoaderSaints

18 Nov 2016 14:49

Just don't click the shady ads. :P
In the installation tutorial I pointed out what exactly needs to be clicked in order to download the files.

Speedbird52

18 Nov 2016 20:18

It's not as simple as not clicking a shady link. Just visiting the wrong website can get a virus on your computer and popups count as visiting a site. I was getting ads posing as download links, which quite obviously when clicked would just simply install a "download manager" full of junkware on your computer. The promods team is highly respected and because of that it is there responsibility to make sure that ETS2 players feel safe downloading their mods. (Which I may add are very high quality!)

Callipso
Donation rank:

18 Nov 2016 21:40

While I understand and share your concern, I don't believe its Promods duty or responsibility to ensure others safety. This is not a company and are not upholding a stake on people's security. The fact that this is only a modification of a game and that the people here are only doing this out of hobby should suggest that you have more of the liability when it comes to what is downloaded. Promods has made a tutorial that demonstrates how to get around any hassles and roadblocks to downloading their mod, there is more responsibility on your end to be aware of what you download, where you are going when downloading it and to take some initiative to protect yourself if anything should arise. I don't know any of the details as to legal nature of what Promods declares to be your own responsibility or their responsibility so some insight might be useful by the admins here. There may be some give and take.

thm57
Donation rank:

20 Nov 2016 20:50

If you want to be safe use the paid download. I admit the free download feels a bit like negotiating a minefield but after a couple of times I learned where to click.

minamo9

22 Nov 2016 16:28

Do you really want to spend 20 minutes dodging bullets for 50 cents? I'm happy to use the paid version. I'm pretty sure most of you make more than 2 bucks an hour too, so it's really not that bad.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information