Direct to the creators of the mod - disaster

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
isdraken

24 Oct 2020 12:55

https://youtu.be/ogNdNmg0WMM I suggest you watch this video I have posted. It is so factually wrong and unresearched that it is downright horrible. It is not listed as of yet. I am a former truck driver and know these roads and towns and cities like the back of my hand and I can accept certain lapses in creators freedom, but this is just so wrong that it is not acceptable. If the residents of these places saw this there would surely be an uprising. I suggest you watch the ENTIRE VIDEO from beginning to end. I have added IRL imagery from the same areas. You then be the judge. :? :roll:

citelis730
Donation rank:

24 Oct 2020 14:32

No one can watch 34 minutes long video to see you saying that you don't like it.

BebeMischa
Donation rank:

24 Oct 2020 14:46

Can you make it better? Do it and tell me, when it's finished.
Last edited by JohnBart on 11 Nov 2020 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed antagonizing from post.
Volvo FH16 classic 6x4, RJL Scania T 730 Hp 8x4/4, and more...
https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/online ... p?id=71603
http://steamcommunity.com/id/bebemischa/
i7 9700k, 32 GB, 2xMSI 1070Ti SLi, m.2 SSD 2 TB, 3x24" 1080p, T500RS wheel + shifter with Eaton Fuller knobs
ETS2, Promods, RusMap, Southern region, Great Steppe, all Jazzycat's
Speak NL, CZ, SK, D, GB

bricksathome
Developer

24 Oct 2020 15:40

Many of your points are about sections being missed out or places being too close to each other - remember that the game's scale is in 1:19 so 19 real life kilometres has to be squashed down into the space of 1 kilometre, which means you have to loose over 90% of the real life distance in order to fit it in game. That's why places are missing, or too close together.

As for, your complaints about the buildings all being 'totally incorrect' - consider that almost all of the assets we use are not creates specifically for one area, with the manpower we have it is not sustainable to create loads of custom buildings and assets for every single city on the map, dedicated modelers are extremely rare to come by, especially for a hobby project like this - so because of that, most of the buildings will be generic buildings that look similar to its real life counterpart.

Looking at google street view, a lot of the places you call totally wrong actually look pretty similar when compare to google maps, take 28:54 in you video for example, which is 'totally wrong' and compare it to Google street view, I would say it's accurate, even down to the benches and playground.

Lots of the roads in your video were built back in 2016, since then mapping standards have changed a lot, mapping techniques and standards have improved dramatically, newer areas of the map are likely to be closer to real life. As much as it would be great to rebuild it to today's standards, it's down to having someone that wants to actually spend the hours doing it, so if you want to improve it, by all means go out and do so.
The Best Way To see What I've been Doing Recently Is To Click Here!
http://www.youtube.com/c/bricksathome1

Currently working in mid Wales in ETS2
and the area around Kelowna and Vernon in ATS

OfficialDOWL
Developer
Donation rank:

24 Oct 2020 17:33

Hello sir,

I (as most of the developers here) make parts of this map as a hobby in my, extremely limited, free time and recieve no form of payment for doing so. As much as we'd all love to be able to model every building, every tree and every other little detail, almost none of us are 3D modellers and so we can only use the models provided by SCS. That being the case it would be foolish for one to expect our map to be any better or even on par with current SCS work. We simply don't have the resources.

Furthermore, on a technical level, having each detail modelled seperately would require the mod to be extremely large, and we already have problems with the amount of data transfered by the free download servers when we update.

All this being the case, I think the quality of the map is not so much "unnaceptable" as "inevitable". If you find our map truly too badly made for your needs, feel free to not use it. However, the vanilla map is for the most part no better - and in some areas far worse - than ours.

Good day.
Developer for Iceland Image
#3 forum spammer with a username beginning 'O'
ATS Background Map
ETS2 Background Maps

isdraken

11 Nov 2020 04:59

It is not that I a dissatisfied with your work. On the contrary I am indeed very impressed at the work effort you have put in. So please don't get me wrong. As it is your work to make these maps and regions and so on, so is it my job as a freelance photographer, media and freelance reporter to make matters heard. In fact, if you are unaware of it, sometimes a shaving report leads to more users, that want to check out the product for themselves. However, that being said, I don't expect every building to be modelled. Jeez, I wouldn't even have the time for that, since I also model in Blender2,83 for city skylines amongst others and certain extra requests but I would have liked the layout to be a little more accurate. Just saying since I have after all driven trucks IRL and I love driving the ETS. If you have any questions feel free to contact me on my email. (only applies to @OfficialDOWL. refr. PromodDev2020 in the subject line) Others will be blocked. I can get photos of around Skellefteå for you. Entrance North, East, West and South and upper Solbacken Shopping area so in future updates you can get an idea of the layout and possibly for height and elevation refrences between Skellefteå South and Umeå. There are many videos on my YT of that stretch of road and also towards Umeå. I am not impossible. Am grateful for the work time you have put in and I wish you a good continuance. Thank You for taking the time to reply.

ScuL
Founder

11 Nov 2020 08:31

If you are competent with Blender we would love to see your contributions, please create some models for your region and we will place them :)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

JohnBart
Donation rank:

11 Nov 2020 10:07

isdraken wrote:
11 Nov 2020 04:59
It is not that I a dissatisfied with your work. On the contrary I am indeed very impressed at the work effort you have put in. So please don't get me wrong. [...] Am grateful for the work time you have put in and I wish you a good continuance. Thank You for taking the time to reply.
We appreciate each and every piece of constructive criticism, but it's hard to interpret your feedback that way if your topic title contains "Disaster", the linked video is called "A serious mess-up" and "Scandalously incorrect", while your original post says that the work our modders produce is "downright horrible" - even if the language barrier may factor in to all this.

In any way, just as ScuL said, if you have Blender experience, and are willing to help us out with producing some custom models for the areas in question, please show off your skills in the Show Your Work section of our forum. We are always in dire need of good modellers, and could use additional help in this front. ;)
Ex-ProMods tester and ex-Moderator. Translator of the official ETS2 + ATS Hungarian localizations. Ex-Community Beta tester of SCS Software. Retired Admin of RestaCar.hu. Pre-recorded DJ at ETS2 RestaCar Pirate Radio.
Drive safe and be nice! ;)

isdraken

27 Mar 2021 21:12

The hated on video has been removed and can only be viewed on demand. Sure I could add buildings and such, but if you wish, check out isdraken on steam workshop cities skylines to see some of my creations
Last edited by bmwGTR on 28 Mar 2021 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove quote, please do not quote the post above yours

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information