A question about Canadian driving.

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
puternut53
Donation rank:

04 Dec 2020 00:02

With the impending release of ProMods Canada I have a question for someone from that part of the world - or anyone who knows.

In ATS land south of Seattle, the Americans have this rule where if you are turning right at a crossroads - with traffic lights - you can go against a red light PROVIDING the way is clear.

Is it the same in Canadia land?

Just a thought.

ScuL
Founder

04 Dec 2020 00:04

Right turn on red is legal in almost all of Canada (except Montréal) so yes
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

peterdj45

04 Dec 2020 00:15

Yes, that is correct.

Furthermore, a tip for non-Canadians: The green arrow blinking means you can freely turn left, as there will be no oncoming traffic coming (they have a red). If you're waiting to turn left and only have a green light without the blinking arrow, you must yield to oncoming traffic and only go when it's clear.

Gabriel T
Donation rank:

04 Dec 2020 01:14

To add-on:

right turns on a red light are not permitted where a restriction sign exist on the light pole (sometimes there are time and day restrictions)
and like ScuL said: right turns on red light are not permitted on the whole island of Montréal and there is no reminder signs on any pole, so it is very easy to forget to not to turn... ; sign is on the island entrances only);

also flashing green light means you can turn left in a protected manner (meaning it is red for oncoming traffic) ; same effect as an arrow basically...

darmy63
Donation rank:

04 Dec 2020 20:08

Flashing green light in BC means the light is pedestrian controlled, not a left turn advance like a green arrow. I believe the flashing green for left turn is only in Eastern Canada.

puternut53
Donation rank:

05 Dec 2020 00:29

So so confusing. Different areas different rules. Many thanks.

I had 2 weeks in Vancouver many years ago but couldn't recall the rules.

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

05 Dec 2020 00:33

Im not a very big expert but the flashing left green arrow means the seam in BC as in the rest of Canada (at least as far as I know). Even the city of Surrey wrote about it: https://www.surrey.ca/services-payments ... left-turns

The flashing green phenomenon I did see, with pedestrian controlled traffic lights. We haven't implemented those in our map though.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

darmy63
Donation rank:

05 Dec 2020 01:17

Just from the YouTube videos I’ve seen, it looks like you’re really nailed the traffic lights in BC. I don’t see a need for pedestrian controlled lights in the game, but I didn’t want to see the flashing green (non-arrow) light implemented as a left turn light in the BC portion of the game as they don’t exist here.
Getting back to the original question I agree with what others have said, yes you can turn right on a red light after coming to a stop unless there is a sign prohibiting it.
Last edited by bmwGTR on 05 Dec 2020 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove quote, please do not quote the post above yours

Gabriel T
Donation rank:

05 Dec 2020 02:04

darmy63 wrote:
04 Dec 2020 20:08
Flashing green light in BC means the light is pedestrian controlled, not a left turn advance like a green arrow. I believe the flashing green for left turn is only in Eastern Canada.
as an "Eastener" , I did not know that about British Columbia.... very interesting thank you

Googlefluff
Donation rank:

05 Dec 2020 03:28

Nico wrote:
05 Dec 2020 00:33
Im not a very big expert but the flashing left green arrow means the seam in BC as in the rest of Canada (at least as far as I know). Even the city of Surrey wrote about it: https://www.surrey.ca/services-payments ... left-turns

The flashing green phenomenon I did see, with pedestrian controlled traffic lights. We haven't implemented those in our map though.
The flashing green arrow is used in all of Canada, but in some eastern provinces a flashing green circle also means you have priority to turn left. In this video from Quebec, at 0:19 and 1:41, the light flashes green for the first 10 seconds, allowing traffic to turn:

Even though no one does turn in this case, you can see how oncoming traffic is forced to wait until it turns to solid green. My understanding is that this is done when a road has no turn lane, so traffic doesn't get backed up behind left turners who have to yield. It's understandably confusing how a flashing green means two completely different things in different parts of the same country, and I'm surprised there aren't more stories of easterners getting into accidents in BC thinking they had priority.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ATS”

• Information