I cannot display the background in mapeditor.

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
kinomushuroom0315

13 Dec 2021 17:41

In recreating Italy in full size, I tried to apply a real map as a background. But unfortunately, all I got was a red screen and no map. I referred to various videos and websites with no good results, so here I am. The following file is the one I'm actually struggling with. (This file is located directly under document/Euro Truck Simulator2/mod.) I would be very happy if you could check it and maybe find the problem.

Please note that I've also posted the exact same thing on the steam community, but that's because I want to get a wider range of opinions.

Josh0

13 Dec 2021 20:36

A couple of things:
  1. It is bad practice to use the file "/def/editor_data.sii" in your mod. This is because SCS sometimes changes the data in this file, which means you have to change your file accordingly (sometimes if you don't make the same changes that SCS made the map editor can crash while loading). It is better instead to use "/def/editor_data_custom.sui" in your mod (which is @included by SCS's "editor_data.sii"), you can add your map-specific customization there without worrying about what changes that SCS made in "editor_data.sii". Suggested contents of "/def/editor_data_custom.sui":

Code: Select all

# Modders: Use this file to add your own map specification.

bcg_map_name[]: "/map/sizeeu.mbd"
    	bcg_material[]: "/material/editor/sizeeu.mat"
    	bcg_size_x[]: 100000
    	bcg_size_y[]: 100000
    	bcg_offset_x[]: 0
    	bcg_offset_y[]: 0
  2. If you have any changes to "editor_data.sii" or "editor_data_custom.sui" in your mod then you must use the "-force_mods" option on the command line when invoking the map editor, otherwise the map editor will ignore those file(s) from your mod.
With these two changes I was able to load the map editor with your mod and display your background image.

kinomushuroom0315

14 Dec 2021 06:37

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the time delay. Unfortunately, things did not go well.
First, I created "editor_data_custom.sui" as you said. Is it necessary to keep the "editor_data.sii" at this time? Is it necessary to keep "editor_data.sii" at this time, or is it fine to just keep "editor_data_custom.sui" directly under def?
Also, the "-force_mods" description should be written in the path of the shortcut for launching mapeditor, right? In my case, it is ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Euro Truck Simulator 2\bin\win_x86\eurotrucks2.exe" -edit -noworkshop -force_mods".
I am attaching a screenshot of the current situation for your reference. The background is now pink instead of the original red background with black text.

Josh0

14 Dec 2021 14:57

kinomushuroom0315 wrote:
Is it necessary to keep "editor_data.sii" at this time, or is it fine to just keep "editor_data_custom.sui" directly under def?
If you have "/def/editor_data_custom.sui" in your mod then do not use "/def/editor_data.sii" in your mod.
kinomushuroom0315 wrote:
Also, the "-force_mods" description should be written in the path of the shortcut for launching mapeditor, right? In my case, it is ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Euro Truck Simulator 2\bin\win_x86\eurotrucks2.exe" -edit -noworkshop -force_mods".
Correct.

For reference, here is your mod with the modifications I proposed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tk2_-H ... sp=sharing

kinomushuroom0315

14 Dec 2021 17:55

I finally succeeded in applying the background. Thanks so much for taking the time to show me the ropes!
It seems I was mistaken, and I was able to fix things by making changes in the "user_map" folder, which is automatically generated after manipulating the map editor, instead of "sizeeu.scs". Thank you again and again for reaching out.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information