MidAmerica tour

Post your own screenshots & videos of our mods here
krigl

27 Mar 2024 08:32

Today we make a start on the 6th and final part of the Texas tour - the northern part.

Picking up my truck after a 'retune' at the service centre in Texarkana. Now to park up and get some sleep in the spacious quarters at the back.

This beauty parked next to us while I was sleeping.

Set out to have a look at Texarkana. Aside from what we already saw at the end of Part 4, there's not really that much there. I presume more will be added when Arkansas drops. Maybe. It's okay, but not a highlight of the tour.

I mean, what there is is pleasant enough.

Okay, this is cool. Maybe I'm just entitled and whiny. Or overly harsh at least.

It has one of those junctions with the characteristic Texas U-turn feature, which is pretty handy sometimes, especially if you're busy chatting or eating sticky buns and you miss your exit.

Looks like a Taylor jobsite. No rockets this time, but that shouldn't really be a source of disappointment... Ach jo. I just really like the sea, ports and rockets. Poor ol' Krigl.

Well, that's about it. Let's get something to haul, then.

Picking up Insulation Panels to take to Dallas.

Leaving town.

And we're on our way. Well, with Part 5 being 'The Best Bit' of the Texas DLC, where does that leave us with Part 6?

I've completed about half of it so far and it seems a decent region to me. There is one thing special about it - it's the first region of the rest of the thread.

That sounds a bit trite, but it is kind of accurate in a sense, just like when someone tells a person on their wedding day that it's the first day of the rest of their life. The previous parts were all about covering the diverse regions of the enormous state of Texas. With Part 6 we are looking at moving upwards and outwards. Everywhere you go there are signs and roads leading to Oklahoma - I think there are 10 roads that cross the border between the two states, though I've decided to remain exclusively in Texas for Part 6. And of course, Texarkana also borders on Arkansas, and in fact northeast Texas is probably quite similar to Arkansas - green and leafy, and more densely urbanised, just as northwest Texas is more open, with sparser settlements and lots of farming, and so a little similar to Kansas just over the narrow Oklahoma panhandle.

Personally, I prefer the latter, as 'green and leafy' can be a little bland. I hope SCS can avoid too many 'tree tunnels' in Arkansas and other southern states, it's boring not being able to see anything beyond 10 metres on each side after a while.

This kind of look is nice.

Yeah, this route from Texarkana to Dallas does seem like a bit of a preview for Arkansas, as did the last trip in Part 4. Oklahoma and Arkansas are much, much smaller than Texas - small enough to do the whole state in one go. And beyond them lie Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Lousiana, Iowa, South Dakota and others which are yet to be announced. Mid America - the subject of this whole thread. Texas is great, but it's also an enormous obstacle that needed to be overcome before moving on to the rest of the country. So yeah, the first part of the rest of the thread, and this is the first set of all that. Exciting times.

Anyhow, my obsessive brain has decided to divide this final part of the tour into two sections. The first centres around Dallas-Fort Worth, with trips out to Longview and Wichita Falls (the last completely unexplored city in the DLC for me) and around the two main cities. So, the green and urbanised northeast. And the second section will involve 5 mainly longer trips over what I imagine will be wide expanses of farmland, finishing up back in Dalhart where the whole epic tour began. And then it will be time to tour Italy at last back in the 'main thread'. Yay!

This is probably a satellite town of Dallas.

Lake Ray Hubbard, I think. It's not the sea, but it's a nice body of water to refresh the eyes. Next time we reach Dallas, see a bit more of that city, and then pick up something agricultural in north Fort Worth.
Cheers! Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 27 Mar 2024 09:30, edited 2 times in total.

krigl

27 Mar 2024 09:19

Completing the trip to Dallas this time, and checking out some more of the city, which we visited during Part 3 of the Texas tour. I think we only really focused on the southern edge back then, but my profound apologies are extended in the case that I've accidentally posted too many screenshots that are identical to those taken before.

Approaching the Big City.

Concrete spaghetti once again.

Definitely been here before - 6 Flags in the distance.

Delivering the Insulation Panels to this large logistics zone.

The panels are wanted at Plugged. Maybe they're refurbishing their offices?

Now to get some views of spectacular Dallas.

Ah, I remember this from some blog way back in '22.

The city has a powerful presence.

There's a road (the 35) to the north of both Dallas and Fort Worth which continues over the state line to Ardmore in Oklahoma. On the way up you can get your truck tuned and repaired - off to do that now.

New paint job.

New day, time to find something to haul. There's an agricultural jobsite just before the state border on the 35, and that's where we're going.

According to the excellent Printable Road Atlas of ATS: https://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=306951, the local town is Gainesville, but it counts as Fort Worth for the game.

Not sure what I'm hauling, I forgot to take a shot. Not a tractor, not a combine, not at all sure really. Wait. Google exists. Okay, probably a crop sprayer, with tall wheels to give clearance.

Heading eastwards parallel to the state line.

We'll haul this mystery device all the way to Longview next time.
Cheers! Krigl

krigl

29 Mar 2024 14:19

Off to Longview across NE Texas today.

Turning SE after passing through something labelled as Sherman. 'Tanks' for the heads up.

There are two routes we could take - this time we're using the lower one, we'll take the higher one on the way back.

Pony rides offered here. On very small ponies.

This may be Greenville's Boring Museum of Farm Implements, not sure.

I cannot be other than impressed by these majestic walls and gates.

-That's the third one you dropped today, Dan. Can't you be more careful?
-Sorry, boss. But, look, it's split open. Wonder what's inside.
-Let's have a look. It's gold and kinda shiny, whatever it is. Ah I can see it. Sneakers. The boxes are full of golden sneakers.

Glimpse of a courthouse.

The region can be a little bland.

But there's always something vaguely of interest just around the corner.

Those crazy cops are at it again.

And here we are on the outskirts of Longview. I think we've been here before.

Time to leave this delightfully complicated trailer setup behind.

Posing for the camera.

Nice.

At another familiar Longview jobsite to pick up something for Fort Worth.

Forklifts! It's been a while.

Farewell to Longview.

Driving north on the 259, the town of Lone Star ahead. Quite a nice trip, we'll continue to Paris next time. TX.
Cheers! Krigl

krigl

29 Mar 2024 14:50

Continuing the trip from Longview to Gainesville (north of Fort Worth) this time. Lots of countryside...

I think this is a place called Lone Star.

It's big enough for a Donut Shop.

Lone Star Chairs. For the Goldilocks in your life.

Ooooooooo.... that colour!

I think we're passing under the Texarkana-Dallas road, south of De Kalb.

De Kalb. Time to stop heading north - the state line is just ahead - and start heading westwards to Gainesville parallel to Oklahoma's southern edge.

A Hummer filled with tinnies. Planning to celebrate Easter in style, I see.

Ride into the sun, ride into the sun. Ride into the sun, ride into the sun.

Approaching Paris in the golden hour.

Paris?

Next time - we deliver the forklifts to Grand Pastures in Gainesville after nightfall, and then pick up something new in Denton just north of both Dallas and Fort Worth. Thanks for looking in! Krigl

krigl

30 Mar 2024 16:26

This time - returning to Gainesville north of Fort Worth from Longview, and then just mooching around the north Dallas-FW area, i.e. Denton and Gainesville.

Paris still, maybe.

Got way too dark too soon.

Still, it has that cosy early night atmosphere.

Sherman, I think. Close to Gainesville.

Gainesville.

Grand Pastures at last.

Heading south to the service point between Gainesville and Denton to get a repaint.

New paintjob. A wintry theme. It's still winter somewhere, right?

As far as I know, we were heading down to Denton (above and between Dallas and Fort Worth) to pick up something from Nielson Roads.

What on earth are these? They're almost symmetrical, with some kind of cab at both ends, plus some strange structure under it and a dinky little wheel.

I've no idea, but I'm going with Mobile Libraries.

Sadly we can't take them, but we can take a road roller.

Back up to Gainesville.

Oklahoma's up that way, but we're turning right towards Sherman.

Here we go again. Next time we take this roller to Taylor Construction on the 75 on the east side of Dallas.
Cheers! Krigl.
Last edited by krigl on 04 Apr 2024 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

krigl

30 Mar 2024 16:45

This time - another Dallas-Fort Worth-centred set. From Gainesville back to Sherman and then south on the 75 which runs along the east side of Dallas, providing some nice skyscraper views. And then back to Fort Worth.

Gainesville still, maybe. It's not really very clear in-game.

Magnificent, guys, those walls and that imposing gate... just wow.

A lake with a fountain, plus thoroughbred stallions. Plane out back, probably. And gold sneakers with the AR-15 in the cabinet.

Sherman - time to turn south. Named after Bim Sherman, no doubt.

Southwards on the 75.

And there it is again, Dallas's skyline, from the east this time.

Unexpectedly picturesque moment.

I love how all the curvy roads somehow fit together. Must have been tricky to model.

Great view from here as we cross the 75 and head for the jobsite.

Need something rolled? I got da goodz.

Back at the notorious 'Fort Worth' industrial estate. Arlington actually, maybe.

We're taking some electronic components to American Truck Haulers in Denton on the Fort Worth side of the road, and thus completing all the roads that can be travelled around the Dallas-Fort Worth conurbation.

Fort Worth's skyline from the east. We'll finish this short job next time, take a look at the two cities by night, and then head over to Dallas-Fort Worth Airport to pick up a cargo for the last as-yet-unvisited city in the Texas tour - Wichita Falls.
A Happy Easter to everyone! Krigl

krigl

02 Apr 2024 07:05

Finishing off the Dallas-Fort Worth area today with a delivery to American Truck Haulers at Denton, some night shots of the cities, and a trip to the airport.

This cluster of jobsites and other buildings probably represents Denton just to the NE of Fort Worth.

That's American Truck Haulers over there.

University building, and probably one of the university's sports stadiums.

It's getting late in the day.

ATH. Perhaps that's the owner's ride.

Parking up. Someone else can take it further. It would be nice to haul one of those truck cab trailers, but a job is waiting for us at the airport tomorrow morning.

Time for yet another repaint/retune, and to get set up for some long-range drone shots.

ATH is right next door to a Peterbilt showroom where I can get the changes made to my Kenworth.

Newly refurbished.

Rocking the 100th Anniversary paint scheme this time. It had to happen.

Now for some night shots of the two cities. First, Fort Worth, the less spectacular of the two.

Six Flags over Texas at Arlington.

Empty concrete spaghetti.

Dallas.

So glad I invested in this long-range, military-grade, photodrone.

Headed over for a night shot of the airport too. Totally legal, no probs, honest guv. Our destination tomorrow. Better get some sleep now.

Heading to DFW airport the next day, bleary-eyed.

That's it for this set. Next time - DFW to Wichita Falls, our final unexplored city in the DLC.
Cheers! Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 02 Apr 2024 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

krigl

02 Apr 2024 20:08

This time we're driving from Dallas - Fort Worth Metropolitan Airport westward to Wichita Falls.

Entering the airport, I was surprised by a rig heading in the opposite direction. Trucks seem to drive in and out all the time, which is unusual.

Here's the Ultimus jobsite.

Nothing inside again. Maybe things don't spawn inside at all? I'm sure I've seen screenshots showing trucks picking things up from inside the plane, but maybe they were posed, like my one a few months back totally wasn't.

Picked up some Jet Engine Inlet Cowls to take to Wichita Falls.

From what I can see online Dallas Fort Worth Metropolitan Airport doesn't actually exist. The title is DFW International Airport. Why SCS chose to change this I'm not sure, but my totally cerebrally buffed expert opinion is that it's probably for legal reasons.

Let's get moving then.

One last panorama of the Fort Worth skyline.

Glimpsed rest stop.

It's all flat green countryside between DFW and Wichita Falls.

And we've arrived.

Wichita Falls has some nice sights to see, not too many but enough to give the city a dash of character.

We'll make the delivery next time and head back towards Gainesville above DFW.
Cheers! Krigl
Last edited by krigl on 04 Apr 2024 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

krigl

03 Apr 2024 08:33

Today we see a bit more of Wichita Falls before heading back towards Gainesville.

Still arriving in WF. A good-looking city.

Just a shame that it's not a 'double city' like DFW. Wichita Twin Falls would be good, for example. Or Wichita Toledo Falls.

Just taking a moment to appreciate the smooth modelling of this fine interchange.

Right. I wonder where these Jet Engine Cowls are wanted. Walmart?

Plugged. Well okay, why not. Probably another pretend destination, methinks. Can't remember. It's hard to find interesting short range jobs to specific places.

Decided not to hang around, and immediately picked up some used packaging from the Home Store.

Should have waited till the next day, but I think it was actually a real job going to Grand Pastures in Gainesville, so I just took it. I don't enjoy pretending.

Aaargh, it's already getting dark. Looks nice for now, though.

Time to turn off soon.

Now we're on the northern route back to Gainesville, the 82 that runs along the border with Oklahoma.

Leafy layby.

The sun is still very, very warm even at this hour.

Approaching the town of Saint Jo.

I took a few pics in Saint Jo which were much too dark, so I stopped off at a general store and bought a couple of postcards.
The journey to Gainesville continues next time. Cheers! Krigl

krigl

03 Apr 2024 09:14

Saint Jo to Gainesville today, and then Wichita Falls to Anson, i.e. ending Section 1 and starting Section 2 of Part 6 of... what was I talking about?

Saint Jo at dusk.

Postcard of the vaguely picturesque centre.

Local ranch (postcard) with the family atomics, I mean family traction engine, proudly displayed.

Approaching Gainesville now.

One more postcard. It's pylons!

Gainesville at dusk. Fort Worth's skyline's not visible, but in-game it's just a short drive to the south-west.

One last shot from the Dallas-Fort Worth conurbation. So, section 1 of Texas Part 6 is over, onto section 2 - the north west.

Drove back to Wichita Falls by night, got fuelled up, got another repaint. Then took a couple of days off to recuperate from the frenetic pace of touring.

Time to start section 2. There will be five trips - from WF southwest to Abilene, WF west to Lubbock, WF northwest to Amarillo, from Abilene north then west to Amarillo, and finally from Odessa north through Lubbock and Amarillo to Dalhart. Lots of driving through farmland and rough country, a few surprise unmarked settlements on the way. Looking forward to it.

Luxury cab. The microwave's back there somewhere.

Heading out of Wichita Falls, destination Abilene. We'll get as far as Anson today.

Like Victoria and Abilene further south, WF roughly lies in between the 'two halves' of Texas. Not far out of town, and the cacti are already appearing. I prefer the western half, to be honest. Which is a little sad, as this is the region we're slowly leaving behind as the DLCs move east.

Yep. All the tell-tale vegetative signs that we're heading westwards. No palm trees await however.

I think we're passing the town of Seymour now. We'll go through it on the way to Lubbock on the next trip.

Heading pretty much southwards now towards Abilene.

Interesting junction here. They call it the Texas Q-Maker. Anson lies on the horizon. We'll pass through it on the way to Abilene next time.
Cheers! Krigl

Return to “Share the love”

• Information