Advice for a new standalone project when you're new to modding (and help?)

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
David_Granger
Location: near Salzburg (AT) on the German side of the border

26 Dec 2023 22:38

I've been thinking about this for months. My local region is absolutely nowhere on maps because it's just either too small or too close to Salzburg, AT. Yet it would probably be beatiful to drive though. I live in direct sight of the Alps near Salzburg. I got the idea of making a 1:1 or 1:2 map of the area.
Since I don't have previous experience, I expect this whole thing to take years.

My priority is the red, Salzburg and direct things around it. The rest might happen if I get help, which I would be greatful to get, but I don't expect it, since I don't think anyone is interested.

Feel free to look at the area on Google Maps, and look at photos. I don't know how to recreate a lot of the feel though, since you can see the Alps even 40 km away from the actual mountains, and no idea if that is even possible in-game.

ScuL
Founder

26 Dec 2023 23:37

My experience with these really big scale map projects is that you get demotivated quickly and you will burn out long before you can complete your plan.
I've seen 1:1 and 1:2 scale maps appear and disappear a lot over the past 10 years
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

David_Granger
Location: near Salzburg (AT) on the German side of the border

27 Dec 2023 11:56

ScuL wrote:
26 Dec 2023 23:37
My experience with these really big scale map projects is that you get demotivated quickly and you will burn out long before you can complete your plan.
My plan is to only do Salzburg and a small region around it for that reason. Within Salzburg, a lot of streets are banned for trucks, so that should make it easier in theory. The modelling is the hardest part, and will be incredibly time consuming.
As I said, all the other stuff will only happen if I actually get some help and people request it (which I doubt)
Last edited by David_Granger on 27 Dec 2023 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information