Modding Q&A

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
Mitsos M.

07 Apr 2022 20:32

Hi. I would like to add a question

While planning to make a mod, how to decide how much of cities or towns can fit perfectly in the map? The scale is in 1:19, so obviously you can't fit everything. Is there a method to "calculate" how much of cities can fit?
Games are just dull without mods. DLC's are not enough. Gaming's magic is on the mods.

ItzHonzula

07 Apr 2022 20:49

It's mostly trial and error, but the "basic" rule is that you can't fit e.g. every single village/town on the map, as it's basically impossible.

OMNI du 31
Developer

07 Apr 2022 22:09

+ Where to map?

- What I do at the very beginning is to compare the game's UI map and Google Maps in similar zoom ratios. If it seems like it can fit, then, I go for it.

+ What to put?

- For close range, I check the Street View A LOT and I put mainly remarkable stuff so that players can get the feeling of hauling in that city/road by avoiding to "squeeze" everything. Mainly to let them "breathe". For far range, it is mostly Google Earth. Imho, it is the hardest part of the job after optimisation tricks. Because as you said, you can't fit everything on the map. E.g. I had to give up on 2 junctions in the road I am currently building already.
Yellow ranger since 2.60
Developer since 2.63

digitalxak

20 Apr 2022 14:50

This might be a big ask, but I'm determined to get it to work.

I'm planning a texture overhaul, so far I have done one Eurogoodies prefab and a cross junction. All is well and good there, the textures look great.

The problem however is when I try to change the asphalt.dds texture to one of my own, the road stretches (like it does not have U and V tiled in Blender for example) but since I can't load the road in as a model to retexture it I am stumped how to fix this.

Also an explanation of the various road.look.sii "tex's" would be great. I have overlayed a new texture onto asphalt.dds, lowered transparency (or raised?) to make it transparent as per the original.

Here's the good prefab: https://i.imgur.com/4cfXPxl.jpg

Here's the road with problems: https://i.imgur.com/s4h0E6y.jpg

Also the pavement on that road isn't using the new texture that the cross is in the image, despite me changing that texture, is that something seperate in another sii file?

I've not attempted this much before so I may be missing a lot.

Thanks.

RyusoulGold2019
Donation rank:

18 May 2022 06:53

Hi i want to ask, i have an idea to make a map to fill the gap from Trondheim to Honningsvag and make Bodø city, but can i make it by copy paste the promods map, i mean i copy Lulea map to the exact location where Bodø is and change the city & signs name,

can i get a permission to do this, if yes i'll make it right now and release it

here is what i mean

vincentkanin

25 Jun 2022 20:07

I want to make a standalone map, but is there like a blank map or something to build the map on?

OMNI du 31
Developer

26 Jun 2022 02:18

@vincentkanin Standalone maps are created in another module than "europe.mbd" for ETS2 and "usa.mbd" for ATS. When you open the editor, just place a road so that a sector can be created. Then, you save it by naming the module however you want.

You can check this tutorial to see how it is done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyajq64 ... RU&index=6
Yellow ranger since 2.60
Developer since 2.63

vincentkanin

26 Jun 2022 14:42

@OMNI du 31 The editor takes forever to load and then stops responding, it says it's loading mods which i dont want it to

OMNI du 31
Developer

26 Jun 2022 15:13

You need to create a new mod file which is empty. E.g. when you are going to work in the editor, rename your main mod folder into "mod1" and create a new folder called "mod". When it comes to Steam Workshop mods, add -noworkshop parameter
Yellow ranger since 2.60
Developer since 2.63

vincentkanin

26 Jun 2022 17:36

@OMNI du 31 So that could solve loading screen issues in the editor too?

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information