Modding Q&A

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
bmwGTR

25 Mar 2021 10:22

Hi,

why should we "help" the SCS team to remove the remaining vanilla map?
Our developers use the vanilla map of SCS as base, and rebuild parts of it and add contents.

Best regards,
bmwGTR
ETS2: ProMods + RusMap + The Great Steppe
ATS: ProMods + Grand Canyon + Reforma

ProMods Moderator since April 2018

TheGoldRick
Donation rank:

09 Apr 2021 15:56

Hi, I want to make one of those "google maps overlays" in ETS2 map editor. I have tried doing it several times, but everytime I failed. When pressing A, I see "no texture found". Followed all the steps in the videos and it's yet to work. Any help please? Thanks

Danifox
Donation rank:

14 Apr 2021 13:55

Hello everyone.

I have a little question, How will i set sunrise to 6 am and sunset to 18 pm?, is there some def file that defines it? Thanks.

TruckingDutchman010
Donation rank:

14 Apr 2021 14:27

I'm not a modder, but as far as I know you cannot set custom times for sunrise and sunset. What you can set is the day of the year (default June 21st) and then you get the real position of the sun for that date everywhere on the map. Hard coded sunrise and sunset times wouldn't be realistic at all, because those times differ depending on where you are. For example, the sun rises and sets earlier in Warschau than in Amsterdam. In summer the days are longer at a higher lattitude than at a lower lattitude. At Svalbard, in midsummer there's midnight sun, while in midwinter there's the polar night. And so on... So SCS did a really good job implementing the real positions of the sun depending on the day of the year.

Only thing I wonder is: Why on earth is this setting only available by modding? Why does SCS implement this whole system while we're not able to just set the date in the game options screen???

Danifox
Donation rank:

14 Apr 2021 16:25

Hello. Thank you for answering.

I found the setting in "climate.sii", when anyone need change the sunrise and sunset time you need change the map_origin value to the geographic coordinate required, in my case i put (12,77) (dont use negative numbers, because the system cant read properly, and it's the same in practice).

Now i have a another question.

How do i enable the climate selector in "Editor Settings"? For me it appears disabled.

Last edited by bmwGTR on 14 Apr 2021 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove quote, please do not quote the post above yours

jonnytruckeruk

01 May 2021 08:42

Simple question: Where do I start as a newbie? To start off with I'd like to add a road that leads to a town with at least one industry, I started adding a road but for some reason my editor now has a purple car that I can't even select and some telegraph poles that have become disconnected and I don't know how to reconnect them so I feel that I should start over, just don't know what I need to do to get back to the start (default Europe base map).

Thanks!

Nikolay730_

04 May 2021 21:15

If i save my map (reworking Germany i do my project: adding bonn) where is it located in the files?

jonnytruckeruk

05 May 2021 08:09

If you are editing the Germany map directly then I believe it should appear in your Documents folder location under /mod/user_map/map/germany/ (or at least in the user_map folder somewhere). There should be several files generated by the map editor in the folder where it is located.

Hint: To test it in the game you have to enable the map in the mod manager. I am using a separate profile for testing purposes, I took a cargo and just dumped it by the side of the road so that I can free drive around.
Last edited by bmwGTR on 05 May 2021 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote - please do not quote posts direct above yours

Nikolay730_

05 May 2021 10:09

jonny, thx for your reply

I will check it

jonnytruckeruk

07 May 2021 18:24

After adding a city and seeing it displayed on the map correctly, how do I get to add the new city name to signs? My new city doesn't appear in the list of places when I check the properties of a sign, but it definitely exists in the game. I've been looking in the files but can't find any additional lists of city names, I know they must be there somewhere.

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information