Pylon Research

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
Vøytek
Developer

18 Mar 2016 23:20

Have you created 'base/map' in ETS2 folder? I started editing 2 days ago and forgot about it so couldn't save ;)
Currently working on: various stuff
#1 forum spammer
Enjoying PM since 1.52
YouTube channel [PL]: http://youtube.pl/vooytek

IceBlue

18 Mar 2016 23:27

Hello fellow Derbyshireian (if that's what we call ourselves)

I am currently looking into starting a UK Rebuilding project, by no means at all I will succeed, but if you have anymore advice on pylons/gantries, that would be great :).

Cities wise I will definitely look into Derby/Notts, but that's for another thread.

smith121363
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2016 23:32

Heck, maybe you can join his team. He seems to be off to a wonderful start.

adgjl
Donation rank:

18 Mar 2016 23:48

From what I can tell it seems like pylonzak is saying he has joined the already existing UK rebuilding project - SCS forum topic. However as usual it is hard to make sense of his post. In any case, I think you'd be best off contacting them, IceBlue.

Pylonzak, please, before you submit a post, read through it and consider how you could format it better to make it more readable and understandable. In the current state, your posts will only lead to misunderstandings and the effort you put in to them is essentially going to waste.
Bugs are love, bugs are life

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

19 Mar 2016 00:49

I'm getting such a deja vu...

Also, there is a thing called "priorities". Although the pylons are not realistic everywhere, changing them is not one of our priorities; we have much bigger things to worry about, such as half-finished sceneries and loads of new content.

To use an analogy: you make it look like that pylons are an essential part of the "ProMods-cake", while it is actually nothing more than the icing. You complain about wrong pylons in the UK while what matters to us is that for instance the whole freakin' Dartford Crossing is missing! "Penny wise, pound foolish."

The same goes for signage, country-specific road markings, streetlights (yes, I have a thing for streetlights) and crash barrier models. These things are nice to have, but don't really contribute to the functional aspect of the map. Although we want to get the details correct, it often takes too much time to get everything precisely as it is in real life. Add the 1:19 scale to that and you see that you really have to making concessions. And that's what we do: finding an optimum between what's realistic and what's workable and playable. We rather have a decent working map than one that's über-realistic, but unplayable or that its release takes forever.

Also, "pylon expert", that's quite a title to give yourself. But are you really one? And how necessary is your role? I mean, we can look on the internet too. We can use Streetview too. And most of all, we can actually model it, while I haven't seen you model ... well ... anything. I actually added quite some new pylon models, even spanning pylons, in ProMods, and they are not the easiest things to model, I can tell you. You can keep screaming from the sidelines, but that doesn't change anything other than it might annoy the developers that get tired of this. We rather need a "modding expert" on this case rather than a "pylon expert"...
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

pylonzak
Donation rank:

19 Mar 2016 12:26

well, the uk rebuilding will require promods here are the pylons and gantries i would like you to model

i know a lot more about pylons than you do, i'm part of pylon spotters.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

19 Mar 2016 13:44

So, basically, you do nothing other than spotting electric pylons and we have to do all the work?
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

pylonzak
Donation rank:

19 Mar 2016 14:58

well, yeah. I do the planning and cities we do first is;

Dover
Folkestone (new port)
Dartford Crossing
London
Southampton
Derby
Nottingham
Leicester
Lincoln (2017)
Skegness
Sheffield
Bradford (2017)
Bristol
Glasgow (2017)
Cardiff (2017)
Plymouth
Portsmouth (2017)
Croydon (2017)
Aberdeen (2017)
Dundee (2017)
Edinburgh (2017)
Swansea (2017)
Exeter
Taunton
Birmingham
Manchester
Belfast
Newry
Bangor (northern ireland)
Londonderry/Derry
Leeds
Carlisle
Mansfield (2017)
Chesterfield
Middlesborough
Sunderland
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Stoke-on-trent
Burton-upon-trent
Blackpool

Pylons:

L6

L2

PL16

Wooden Power Lines

plykkegaard
Donation rank:

19 Mar 2016 15:17

Images don't cut it
As a 3D modeller you need technical drawings to be able to make correct models, otherwise it's just a rough estimate

Eg I am currently working on some railway powerlines for use in Sweden and Finland
I use this drawing as a sketch to work from

RL version

3D Artist - Moderator - Beta tester

Horizon™
Developer

19 Mar 2016 15:32

pylonzak wrote:well, yeah. I do the planning and cities we do first is;
Wait...wait...wait.... from when you became the part of us? As other team members stated, you are quite useless expert, because any of 200.000 members of this forum can spot the pylons, and tell us to model them - it does not work out like that, so... if you want to get pylons you want, you'll have to do them yourself :P
Post is proudly delivered by Horizon's Logistics
Roaming through desert

Developer of Lithuania
Developer of Kazakhstan
Developer of Iraq

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information