Assets & General Improvements

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
Bramzel
Donation rank:

26 Aug 2016 07:41

I don't think ETS2 graphics engine supports that as well as Unreal does. SCS's engine isn't the most modern and optimized unfortunately ;)

LoaderSaints

26 Aug 2016 07:48

Having worked with Unreal Engine 4 I can say that that engine is capable of rendering lifelike imagery though of course that'll require some powerful hardware as well. You can not compare the Prism3D (SCS's in-house engine) with the Unreal Engine as they are built for totally different purposes. You can make almost ANY type of game with the Unreal Engine but SCS's engine is very limited in that area. ;)

Nathan_A_RF
Donation rank:

20 Nov 2016 16:46

I can't remember if I already posted this but I will now. I love the little details that ProMods adds and just would like to suggest a few things. I know that developers have to constantly compromise when each version comes out and it all comes together but it would be great if there was more in the way of road signs. For example, just a "no entry" sign on every wrong way would be great. Also, I absolutely love the flags that appear on the map. Just a shame they aren't all there and not at ferry points. Finally, this is a bit pedantic, but since 2.1, the map hasn't been updated, so Svalbard isn't there and Russia still is dark grey (including the Kaliningrad Oblast). Just some small things, that would make the best map even better.
Grab the insecticide, I'm clearing bugs ~ Nathan_A_RF - Moderator, Beta Tester & Bug Fixer
Florence + The Machine / Fox Stevenson

ETS2-User
Developer

20 Nov 2016 16:54

The background map can't be edited that far off otherwise it will get too pixelated since its size has to be the same.
Developer for Austria and Svalbard
Creator of the Radiator Springs mod for ATS
Mods by ETS2-User: Facebook page

Nathan_A_RF
Donation rank:

22 Nov 2016 00:28

That's an odd feature. What about plan B - move Svalbard closer? The Faroes and Iceland are not the realistic distance either. It was just a thought, I can be quite peculiar when it comes to these things. Like I also hate the fact that one of the Estonian islands has no border when zoomed out. Also, I didn't mention this, but why isn't the UK split into Wales, England and Scotland? Northern Ireland is there. I know it is Great Britain but it says 'United Kingdom' on the job map. Also, the Jersey destinations have the initials (GB) too, but they're not part of Great Britain. I'm not sure what that is actually.

After a quick look, it seems as if the Isle of Man has the initials (GBM) and Jersey (GBJ). Could those be updated to be more accurate?
Grab the insecticide, I'm clearing bugs ~ Nathan_A_RF - Moderator, Beta Tester & Bug Fixer

ScuL
Founder

22 Nov 2016 03:10

NathanARF wrote:That's an odd feature. What about plan B - move Svalbard closer? The Faroes and Iceland are not the realistic distance either.
This has to do with the map projection, the background map is of fixed size and can't be stretched.
NathanARF wrote:Also, I didn't mention this, but why isn't the UK split into Wales, England and Scotland? Northern Ireland is there. I know it is Great Britain but it says 'United Kingdom' on the job map. Also, the Jersey destinations have the initials (GB) too, but they're not part of Great Britain. I'm not sure what that is actually.

After a quick look, it seems as if the Isle of Man has the initials (GBM) and Jersey (GBJ). Could those be updated to be more accurate?
We follow the United Nations list of countries. England, Wales and Scotland are not recognised countries, they are locally governed areas part of a larger realm (the United Kingdom). If you were to make them countries you could also break up Belgium in Flanders and Wallonia for instance.

For country abbreviations we use ISO codes 3166-1 alpha-3 which include GBJ for Jersey, GBM for Isle of Man, etc.
Again, England, Scotland, Wales adhere to ISO code GB, same for Northern Ireland. It's also GB.
The reason why the Northern Irish border is visible on the map is because it borders another sovereign nation, namely the Republic of Ireland (IRE).
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Doug Thompson

22 Nov 2016 11:41

Well put ScuL, Northern Ireland is called Ulster by its proper name, and Southern Ireland is called Eire.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

22 Nov 2016 11:49

As stated by ScuL, we follow the United Nations, they name the Republic of Ireland as is. So we also name it that way.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

ScuL
Founder

22 Nov 2016 12:25

Doug Thompson wrote:Well put ScuL, Northern Ireland is called Ulster by its proper name, and Southern Ireland is called Eire.
Yea I appreciate that. Having lived in the UK for 6 years myself I know that most of the British people consider England a separate country, but from an international "official" perspective it is not. Frankly, British education is failing a bit here :)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

Nathan_A_RF
Donation rank:

22 Nov 2016 23:11

I still find it strange that the isles and Northern Ireland are listed. It's all a bit confusing with the UK, British Isles, Great Britain and so on. The UK is a sovereign state and commonly referred to as a country, with the countries of England Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland being part of it (The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are crown dependencies). I'm not sure what the codes denote, but Northern Ireland should really be removed from the map if the UK is to stay. Maybe to not confuse it with Ireland (Republic of), move the UK label across the north Irish Sea. And that is odd that the licence plate for NI is GB.

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information