Implants, do you have any?

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
Snowleopard
Donation rank:

04 Sep 2016 13:13

Hi all, something off topic. I am curios to find out how many people in the PMs community have an implant of any type.

I myself have a spinal implant at L6 S1 which is the very bottom lumber disc. I started with back problems nearly 20 years ago at the age of 21. In the time between then and now I have had injections into the facet joints, physiotherapy and in 2007 I had the disc implant. Problems I had (and still do) cause severe debilitating pain in the lower spine along with arm, hand and leg numbness.
The cause of my back pain was that one of my discs had completely collapsed due to Degenerative Disc Disease known as DDD, above the worst disc are 2 further discs that at the time in 2007 were not as bad as they are now.

I was a guinea pig here in the UK to trial a new type of implant disc made by a company in the US called Axiomed http://www.axiomed.com/technology.html
I was one of only 50 people in the EU/UK to have this done. :shock: http://www.esplp.com/axiomed.aspx

Even though we have the NHS here in the UK who can supply their own discs (The lifespan of an NHS disc versus Axiomed is that the NHS disc has a shorter lifespan of 20-25 years were as the Axiomed disc will out last me, 80 years+ and made of Titanium and polymers), this operation and implant were provided and paid for by the above company, Axiomed. I was booked into a private hospital for the operation and immediate aftercare. After 4 hours of operation and put into recovery, I woke up and still had a Epidural inserted in my spine and a great big plaster on my stomach. I wanted to be sure I could walk again, that was my main concern. With some help I got on my feet and walked about 6 feet from my bed at which point I collapsed due to the Epidural and blood pressure. So when i came round I was still happy as I knew I had walked again.
The implant was put in to replace the collapsed disc and to also help prop up the 2 above it. Sadly 3 years down the line the 2 discs above have failed rapidly which have left me with spinal stenosis. http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/ ... l-stenosis
I do live a fairly normal life with the exception that I have had to give up my long term career and also stop and close my own self employed business after 7 years of which I was a long distance Motorbike courier (UK and the EU). I have about 3.5million miles riding experience and still counting as I do still ride as I can no longer sit in a car for a period of time. I am on fairly strong medication (opiates as it's the only thing that takes the some edge off the pain) but only ride now when I feel that I can, the sitting position on the Motorbike helps to take some pressure off my back.

This is my Xray after the implant was put in, it shows my "Burger" as I like to call it.

and now the MRI scan taken in 2011 showing the Spinal stenosis, blue area is the Disc implant, red area shows 2 missing discs (The material that was inside is slowly going and you can see the bulge from them into my spinal cord)

In 2009 I had a Tattoo hand drawn and I had 5 sittings to have it done. Under the paw is an Axiomed disc...

Here is the place where I have my scar that runs from belly button down to just above my "Gentlemans" area...

The disc itself ....

One of my current Motorbikes

and ME!!!

Thanks for reading, now show me (and others) what you have.
Take care of your Spine, you only have 1!!!
https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/online ... hp?id=1044
General Manager JWT VTC 2011+ (UKTS/GTS/ETS2/ATS)
PMs since V1.0 2013 8-)
@12 10 23
Map cover: 93% PM 2.50/RusMap/Gr8Steppe/MidEast
Driven miles: A LOT!, USING 10 Y/O ORIGINAL ETS2 PROFILE!!

Dannu
Donation rank:

04 Sep 2016 17:17

Damn you have had hard time! Hope you are better now :)
Ex-ProMods Beta Tester from 1.90 to 2.64

kiwimike7
Donation rank:

05 Sep 2016 10:24

2 full hip replacements - one titanium and ceramic, the other stainless and plastic.

mbman212
Donation rank:

05 Sep 2016 11:01

Oh s**t. You really have had a bad time. I hope you're better.now.
#8 Forum Spammer

ETS2 v1.38.1.15, ProMods 2.5x, DLC content

12,50% explored
Driven km 67,200
2957 hours of ETS2

ATS v1.38x, DLC content

29,46% explored
Driven mi 19,000
271 hours of ATS

Snowleopard
Donation rank:

06 Sep 2016 15:53

kiwimike7 wrote:2 full hip replacements - one titanium and ceramic, the other stainless and plastic.
I hope these are working well for you, my Uncle had both of his done after sitting at the wheel of trucks most of his life. He's fine now, a little slower than he used to be, but at least he can still drive without issues.

@ MrSimsFaniFIN + mbman212 Sadly not :( , it's all downhill now as the 2 discs that have failed above the replaced one will continue to disappear, add to the pain and cause nerve problems. No more surgery has been discussed, so I carry on as best possible taking morphine medication to take the edge off the pain.
https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/online ... hp?id=1044
General Manager JWT VTC 2011+ (UKTS/GTS/ETS2/ATS)
PMs since V1.0 2013 8-)
@12 10 23
Map cover: 93% PM 2.50/RusMap/Gr8Steppe/MidEast
Driven miles: A LOT!, USING 10 Y/O ORIGINAL ETS2 PROFILE!!

kiwimike7
Donation rank:

07 Sep 2016 14:51

yeah mate I have no issues, one done 20 years ago and xrays show in perfect working condition, and the second a little over a year old going great.

A lot better than you unfortunately

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information