Background map update - discussion

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
erikdaderp
Donation rank:

31 May 2020 12:20

ScuL wrote:
31 May 2020 10:18
It's totally irrelevant what other map creators do.
And why is that? Because you're not bothered to work with anyone? Because you are used to being the main map mod, so everything else has to revolve around you? Other team members like plum and more are handling this just fine but this is a horrible attitude. I think it shows a lot when 20 different teams can cooperate but then the 1 team who used to be the only important one thinks nothing has changed and expects everyone else to revolve around them.
Pretty disappointing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 1600 OCed to 3650
RX 580 OCed to 1400 and undervolted to 1080mV
16gb ram at 2800

Windows 10, debloated, Playnite in fullscreen with ps5 skin and controller support at logon instead of explorer (for a console esque experience)
macOS Big Sur (Hackintosh) for non-gaming stuff

scan720
Developer
Donation rank:

31 May 2020 12:25

well, promods is already cooperating with lots of other teams.
Example: Rusmap, Southern Region, Paris Rebuild etc.
Developer since July 2020
Working in Poland

1337robloxkid

31 May 2020 12:28

Well i guess this forum has turned into a fight. Take cover!

Trucker2223
Donation rank:

31 May 2020 12:32

Since this all turned into a fight againts the ProMods team then a discussion I'll lock that topic. Everything has been explained now multiple times, why we did what we did, either accept it or move ProMods to your recycle bin. "Discussion" closed.
No. 4 forum spammer

No Support via PM!!

ProMods Senior Beta Tester since 2.30
ProMods Moderator since 1. January 2019

ScuL
Founder

01 Jun 2020 03:32

SaMartok (NL) wrote:
31 May 2020 10:49
This is exactly the problem. And you wonder why people are complaining about PM?? Because these kind of reactions towards others.
NO this isn't the problem at all. I feel like I am talking to a brick wall.

** NEWSFLASH **

SCS HAVE CHANGED THE BACKGROUND MAP

WE ARE FOLLOWING SCS STANDARDS

What other map creators do is irrelevant to SCS, and to us.
Of course we would like as many maps out there to link up with ProMods but first and foremost every map must/should be compatible with the base game.
If your map is misaligned when loading it in the base game, then your map sectors are in the wrong place.
In the 2.46 update we have ensured that our map sectors are placed in the correct places to match them with the SCS map.
We have then copied the SCS map and adjusted it to our own liberty for areas where we felt the tweaks were required, which should have absolutely no impact on map compatibility with others either.
SaMartok (NL) wrote:
You are NOT the only map out there.
We know, but what other maps do is *not our problem*.
SaMartok (NL) wrote:
And yes, it's a good map, but this "I'm high and mighty" attitude does not help your case.
The only people you could accuse of having a high and mighty attitude would be SCS, because they are the creators of the game.
erikdaderp wrote:
31 May 2020 12:20
And why is that? Because you're not bothered to work with anyone?
Why would we have to work with anybody that is suffering consequences from deviating from SCS standards? If you follow the contours of the included map then your mod will be fine.

The bottom line really is why on earth you guys are making an SCS problem OUR problem, pointing at ProMods and saying that we are the big bad wolf? WTF? Seriously?!
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

bengt.jensie

01 Jun 2020 14:33

Which map projection will the canada map addon be released in?
Last edited by Nathan_A_RF on 01 Jun 2020 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited post for context; moved from another thread

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

01 Jun 2020 16:03

In the 10023:204 scale with an inverted projection (we moved the east to the west and vice vera)

But kidding aside, is this a serious question or are you just trying to trigger us. For this we will just use the USA map from SCS, nor does this map impact the game as much as ProMods for ETS2 does.
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

bengt.jensie

01 Jun 2020 16:11

@Nico

That was a serious question, because you might have noticed from the ETS2 side
that the team there didn't know which map projection to use, hence this question.
But here you have the advantage of a fully covering BG from SCS, in ETS2 that is
not the case. Thanks for you answer though! I put these questions of pure interest,
not to be of any trouble at all! Looking forward to see your result!

Nico
Founder
Donation rank:

01 Jun 2020 18:00

Not 100% true (I dont want to start a big argument here).

The main issue with ETS2 is that we are working there with a map that started 7! years ago. Back when we started SCS didn't even have a system for DLCs ready yet. All the changes that came of the year made adapting everything complicated. In the end we made some decisions regarding the background which were for us best to execute.

Regarding ATS, we are working here with a map which we started only a year ago. Not to mention ATS has been planned alot better than ETS2 where SCS put their 1:15 UK (from UKTS) in a hacky way into 1:19 europe (with their GTS map)
Am I developing at the moment?
STDS, ETS2, ATS Beta Tester
Main Developer of ProMods and Moderator.

bengt.jensie

01 Jun 2020 18:30

@Nico

So true, I'm all aware of the fact that the Promods map started well before the change of map projection
and therefore isn't totally correct located in the new one, but what I have a hard time accepting is, that you
instead of doing changes to the map data, you tamper with the BG. Much easier, but not the best way, that's
my opinion! I've used Promods for MANY years and followed you all the way. I think you can do better than
"cheat", make it right instead! But all this is ETS2, the topic is about ATS! It uses, just as ETS2, a Lambert
Conic map projection, but with it's own parameters! I've used it to create my SAT BG for ATS!

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information