Background map update - discussion

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
1337robloxkid

03 Jun 2020 06:54

Maybe I’ll remove BenganJ’s background map?

arayas

03 Jun 2020 08:58

I dont know about alien values to obtain a corect background, but i can force the game to load the original SCS background in a Promods based combo. I've altered the values for left-right-up-down movement but that has no impact on the position of the backgroud.
The result is this:

1.The ME add-on is where it suposed to be
2. Both backgrounds are wrong, Promods has one to cover for missplacements in UK+Island, Bengan has a shifted one.
Editor of Romania Extended Map
roextended.ro
[email protected]
ROEXTENDED FORUM
Personal Mods ATS and ETS - Superzoom, Superlights, Normal Economy, Super Traffic, Loading Screens, Black Friday, Virtual Mirrors

1337robloxkid

03 Jun 2020 09:47

Now i see why there's a debate about it.

SaMartok (NL)

04 Jun 2020 01:57

https://roextended.ro/forum/viewtopic.p ... 100#p23426
by theclumsygeek » June 4th, 2020, 2:06 am
This is really interesting stuff you guys. Thank you for all the passion and hard work you're pouring into this discussion.

For my simple brain, I'd like to try and see if I understand. And pardon my basic language. I cannot use lambert thingy thingy technical terms as that is beyond me, so I will think of my own nicknames :).

SCS started with a map projection (let's call it SCS-old).
After the ATS rescale, SCS decided to use a different map projection (let's call that SCS-new).
However, the actual BG map of SCS right now as of 1.37 is still using SCS-old.
The assumption/alignment(?) is that SCS will switch their BG map to SCS-new as they expand to farther areas from the center.
The World Background Maps by Bengan uses SCS-new.
ProMods uses SCS-old, +/- a few differences, but this is mainly why ME is consistent with the current BG map of SCS as of 1.37.

Feel free to correct/add.
Regards,
Clumsy

I think this described the issue on hand best, correct me if I understood it wrongly.

To me personally the concern is not so much whether or not a map lines up on my in-game world map.

My concern is with all the BG's which are used when actually building or rescaling the maps.
Already we see a funky RC between PMME & PT. And with PMME now being in Syria & Iraq, maybe more connections will come in the future.
Now imaging if there are more maps coming to that area.
Maghreb is not yet in the vicinity of Egypt, but we also don't know which way PMME will expend to.
Same for Road to Asia, maybe they come in to the same area when they go further down.
Somebody is already working on a map along the Red Sea towards Sudan, is he using the PM BG? or the one from Bengan?
Maybe even a totally different one, who knows.
But it is sad to see that it apparently is very hard for all parties involved: PM, Bengan & the multitude of map builders using his BG or even SCS to come up with a clear understanding over what should be the best way forward in this issue.
Because the big problem isn't in west/central Europe, the different maps interconnect good enough for years.
The big problem is in the for now uncharted territories where several creators are working with new work, whether it's PMME, Project Turkey, Maghreb, RdtA or others.

There should be an agreed upon standard to work from.
And if I understand correctly what is discussed so far:
PM BG works as long as SCS still uses it's old UI BG projection.
Bengan's BG has already anticipated SCS switching there UI BG to the new projecting data announced with the ATS 1.5 rescale and implemented since ETS2 1.30. https://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php ... 20#p825182

So what is the best solution for every map creator involved.
Working along the the line of PM's BG, which works fine with SCS current map view, as long as they don't switch the BG over to the new map data they have been working with for quite some time.
Or work along the line of Bengan's BG, anticipating SCS switching over, how far in the future that may ever be.
Or choosing an agreed upon BG which meets both BG's somewhere in the middle.

Even better, why don't you all ask/demand SCS together for a standard BG from them, so everybody knows with which BG to work when making maps.

Shiva

04 Jun 2020 06:29

Hmm?
I think that ProMods is using a modified SCS-New for ETS2, but with the addition of Iceland, not scaled down British Isles and with some modification to Spain and western Balkans, if I understand correctly.
While the areas of Turkey, Black Sea and easternmost of Mediterranean Sea are same as for the SCS-New ETS2 base map.
In short: PM ME and non PM areas same as SCS-New ETS2 base map.
+ see arayas's video.

SaMartok (NL) in my viewtopic.php?p=295585#p295585 post, I too posted about SCS and background map standard and how big would it be?
Youtube video of a Semi Truck in Monaco 2011. Route driven. Possible modern ETS2 routes 1 and 2 and their combinations.
ProMods v2.33 and RusMap v1.8.1 load order for ETS2 1.34

ScuL
Founder

05 Jun 2020 02:00

We were using SCS-old until 2.45 and are using SCS-new since 2.46, with adjustments for Iceland/UK, Spain, Northern Scandinavia and western Balkan
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

NLS57

26 Jun 2020 01:28

Hello, story of projections aside, I find the map sad. As there are no more correct background I work on mine with the resources made available ;)

PM user since v2.15
Free mods for free gamers

NLS57

03 Sep 2020 12:46

Hi guys,
Do you intend to make the updated 2.50 world map background available on this topic https://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30197 ?

PM user since v2.15

adgjl
Donation rank:

04 Sep 2020 19:53

Thanks for reminding us, updated now
Bugs are love, bugs are life

NLS57

17 Apr 2021 16:54

Hi, I wanted to ask you, is the background changed slightly with version 2.55? Especially the bulges near Barcelona and Bilbao, and it is a little more extensive towards Georgia and Armenia?

PM user since v2.15

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information