Feedback on Canada 1.0

Ask questions about the ATS mod here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
erbkaiser
Donation rank:

07 Dec 2020 13:13

I'm very happy with ATS Canada 1.0. It is of the high quality I've come to expect from ProMods and it's hard to tell where SCS ends and ProMods start.
Previously I had used Canadream but I removed it as it was too generic, so it's great to have a detailed representation of America's hat.

I like how the border checkpoints are done, even the X-ray scanner is implemented. It was also fun to see brake checks implemented.
It's just a bit weird that the in-game border checkpoints are not located on the actual border as shown on the map.

Good job on the viewpoints as well, although there I have some negative feedback. In almost every one I tried I saw terrain pop in during the flyby, which ruins the effect. This is with High Drawing Distance in the def, it it's related.
None of the SCS flybys show pop-in.

Looking forward to future updates. I was hoping a bit to be able to get to Victoria from Port Angeles but that'll no doubt be in a future release.
Last edited by erbkaiser on 07 Dec 2020 17:17, edited 2 times in total.

shaggy747

07 Dec 2020 13:43

absolutely love it would it be possible in the weather to have some snow in canada just to make it abit more of a challenge

Gabriel T
Donation rank:

07 Dec 2020 16:26

erbkaiser wrote:
It's just a bit weird that they're not on the actual border.
Hello to you,

Brake check areas are not to be at the border. I don't know what you imply to have brake check areas at border? Maybe if a border crossing is on top of a long steep grade then yeah there could be a brake check pullout...
In fact, I know a Canada /US border at the top of a long steep grade but there are no dedicated pullout for brake check (maybe because of low traffic density area and not much truck traffic in that area) but anyway, all the border crossings in the Promods Canada map right now are on leveled surface, thus no need for brake check pullout.

Brake check pullouts are not border dependent they are "long steep grade" dependent.

Brake check areas are meant to be located before the beginning of a long steep grade for any vehicle of more than 5500 KG (depend on the jurisdiction) registered GVWR to make sure that all the drums / shoes cool off, ensuring that the air pressure is at full tank capacity, check brake adjustment (though this should be done at pre-trip), check wheels, tires, chambers, S- CAM, pushrods before engaging on the grade.

Note: some vehicle (pick up truck for instance) towing recreational equipment do not have an air brake system, so their check is a bit different...

In Canadian provinces when you see signs for brake checks it is mandatory. (Signs depends on the province and GVWR limit also depends on the province)...

anyway hope it helps!
Last edited by Gabriel T on 07 Dec 2020 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

erbkaiser
Donation rank:

07 Dec 2020 17:16

Gabriel T wrote:
07 Dec 2020 16:26
erbkaiser wrote:
It's just a bit weird that they're not on the actual border.
Hello to you,

Brake check areas are not to be at the border.
My bad, that sentence got misplaced as I edited the post! I meant the border checkpoints and the world map border line do not match, whereas they do appear to exist on the exact border in Google maps.

Thanks for the info on break checks.

Added in 2 minutes 38 seconds:
shaggy747 wrote:
07 Dec 2020 13:43
absolutely love it would it be possible in the weather to have some snow in canada just to make it abit more of a challenge
Check out the weather mods by Grimes. Frosty Winter 3.0 with the heavy winter and physics addon is a real challenge.

Gabriel T
Donation rank:

07 Dec 2020 17:58

:) no prob sir!

York0XpertYD

07 Dec 2020 21:21

As a BC resident, I’m really impressed overall with the map you guys have been able to create. Given the scale restrictions, a lot of places truly feel like real life. The signs are all insanely accurate.

There are a few scenery towns that I noticed aren’t present
in the map, the biggest of which being Chilliwack. It’s one of the largest cities in BC, and has a large truck stop with a very tall Canadian flag that’s pretty iconic. I understand the small distance between Abbotsford and Hope, but it could be added eventually.

The area around the William R. Bennett bridge in Kelowna is amazing, but it’s missing quite a few skyscrapers located along the downtown shoreline, North of HWY 97. Kelowna also feels very small-townish, despite being over 150,000 people. In real life the highway running through Kelowna and West Kelowna is all big box stores and large apartments.

Also, most of the mountains around the map are absolutely incredible, but I noticed that the North Shore mountains in Vancouver are kind of missing, they’re very iconic as well. Maybe they will be added when HWY 99 continues North in the next version. Also the mountains around Keremeos are much taller in real life.

All said I am blown away with version 1 of Canada, you guys have made something really amazing and I can’t wait to keep playing it

ScuL
Founder

08 Dec 2020 00:37

Sadly there is absolutely no room for Chilliwack. We had to make some tough decision in this area due to scale. Abbotsford was a must-have town due to the border and Hope was a must-have town due to the start of the Coq. Therefore Chilliwack drew the shortest straw unfortunately.

We have seen some comments about Kelowna and will try to make it more dense and city like but again it's hard because you don't want those skyscrapers being visible in areas where they are not supposed to be.

Regarding North Vancouver/BC99, more is happening there so it will eventually look better :)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

KeaganExtremeGaming

08 Dec 2020 04:55

i might as well also pop in here and say that as someone who lives in bc promods canada feels great with my biggest complaint being the bugs with speed limits and a smaller complaint being where you have to park some double trailers/heavy hauls beings quite hard but im sure those will get fixed in a future update.

Laqueesha

08 Dec 2020 10:40

Looks great. Never been to BC, but after playing, I looked up BC on Google Street View and instantly recognized it from the game alone, amazing.
Last edited by Laqueesha on 06 Nov 2021 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

stevefunk2010

08 Dec 2020 16:14

Greetings and many thanks for a beautiful map.

I have a question about viewpoints: While driving I have received the notice that 'you have discovered a new viewpoint' but cannot find where to activate it and do not see any viewpoint icons on the Canada map. Is this a known issue or am I doing something incorrect with load order perhaps?

Cheers.

Return to “Questions & Feedback ATS”

• Information