Middle East Development

Here we will update you with the latest progress.
killer2239

06 Apr 2021 13:54

As someone new to the game since Dec 2020 and ProMods as of a a month ago, I think you've done a fantastic job, especially if you're the only one really working on this. Granted I've never been to the middle east to compare it with real life. I wish Promods had a better system to donate / subscribe. Like to donate to the devs that work on specific addons or subscription type service that always gave premium download speeds. So for now I'll just continue to use the individual premium downloads. Thanks again for all the work you've put into this and I hope to see it continue.

mrkhmd

06 Apr 2021 18:26

I'm a local living in the middle east and I can honestly say that the map describes every county accurately concerning the scale ratio.
These two developers are simply the best, trust me @killer2239 ;)
Image mrkhmd

StephenHunterUK

06 Apr 2021 21:05

I popped into Gaza earlier this week; not that I've been there, but it seemed a bit too busy with transit traffic for me.

mrkhmd

07 Apr 2021 23:42

@StephenHunterUK
Indeed, the Gaza strip has a very high population density.. that's a very crowded area with brutal traffic, some parts of the middle east have the same characteristic ;)
Image mrkhmd

cagtayyeni2001xfy

11 Apr 2021 00:28

Hi Platypus, in next update, can you add country names for middle east in hebrew, arabic as secondary map names? thanks

keremguvercin

11 Apr 2021 06:06

I guess, ETS 2 system does not support arabic and hebrew letters.

Rafaelkai

11 Apr 2021 08:52

I suggested Arabic Script support and a SCS dev told me that the implementation it's complicated and not supported (yet) because of the right to left writing, which applies to both Hebrew and Arabic. But it seems they do plan on adding support for it eventually.

Platypus
Developer

11 Apr 2021 10:28

cagtayyeni2001xfy wrote:
11 Apr 2021 00:28
Hi Platypus, in next update, can you add country names for middle east in hebrew, arabic as secondary map names? thanks
I would do it with great pleasure but indeed, hebrew and arabic characters are not supported by SCS. The complexity is resulting from several points :

Hebrew
- Is written from right to left (what should not be a great problem)
- A few letters are changing of form in function of their place in the word. This is however limited to some that are different when placed at end of word.
- (On the other side, all letters are seperated like in roman/cyrillic alphabet)

Arabic
- Is written from right to left
- All letters are changing form in function of their place in the word.
- Letters have very specific rules to link together or not.

Fonts used in game have some important limitations (they are based on images of characters in a .dds file).
So for the navigation signs :

- I was able to create an hebrew font (however I need to reverse all characters of each name). It's the reason why Israel has more variety in the names displayed on signs.
- It's impossible for arabic. So, I need to create a specific image for each place name + the definitions files coming with them (what is time consuming). So signs are quite simplified there.

About the background map, it use a font provided by SCS that can't be (as far as I know) customized.

Regards,

BreakerTR
Donation rank:

11 Apr 2021 10:51

So it's complicated as we thought. Thanks for the details, Platypus.
Rafaelkai wrote:
11 Apr 2021 08:52
But it seems they do plan on adding support for it eventually.
We only can hope that they will do it someday.
Engineering Student and Taxi Driver.
Using ProMods since v2.20.

Languages:
Image Image Image Image

StephenHunterUK

11 Apr 2021 22:35

As a back-up, could you use transliterated names instead? Jordan is Al-ʾUrdunn, Syria is Sūriyā etc. That's often how they're shown on road atlas.

Return to “Development updates and Q&A ETS2”

• Information