How to add models into map editor?

Modding school: Learn it from the masters
FarmingSniper

15 Apr 2021 03:53

I am fairly new to map editing and was wondering how to add in some 3d models and which file types are supported. The ones I have are .obj and skp files are you able to add these in and how?

Thanks,
Evan

ScuL
Founder

15 Apr 2021 11:00

You will need to read up on some Blender tutorials and learn how to convert them to the game format (PMD/PMG)
I am Image Dutch living in Image New Zealand and I speak Image EN Image DE Image SE Image FR

FarmingSniper

16 Apr 2021 13:14

I got the models converted etc and ive been looking at tutorials and walk through; although the only one ive found from scs or anyone is years outdated so im sort of stuck in a hard place.
Last edited by bmwGTR on 16 Apr 2021 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove quote, please do not quote the post above yours

fisherm
Donation rank:

16 Apr 2021 15:28

Hi FarmingSniper

When I was in your position I used Mirusox' tutorial on youtube to learn. That was posted mid 2020, so it's reasonably up to date. I still follow the process I learned from there, but the video goes fast so I had to work through with a pause button and make a lot of notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NdBHWQbsyk

A couple of things that weren't obvious from the video that were trial and error - this might save you time:

The pmd and pmg files generated by blender go in the folder path defined in your def/world/ text file e.g. for a model named "mymodel", the text file would be model.mymodel.sii, and the path is base_map/model2/mymodel/
Blender will generate a couple of other folders - automat and texture. They go just in base_map (not the model2 etc.) or the editor won't see them.

For regular models, it only seems to work for me with .TGA texture files. The video has a confusing bit about texture file conversion, but just go straight to TGA. They need to be a square of squares e.g. 512 x 512, 1024 x 1024 pixels etc. so the game can scale the model. If something is wrong with the texture file, the model will still appear, but will look pink. But it's a sign you're going in the right direction.

Once the files are in the right place, the editor only seems to see them after I've run the editor, and saved the map. Then the next time I run the editor, the model is there. The video makes it look as if the changes work immediately, but if that can be done I've not figured how.

Good luck.

fisherm

FarmingSniper

18 Apr 2021 01:28

Okay ive tried it a few times and its still not showing in the editor, Im assuming ether im texturing it wrong or its an issue with my .sii file.
Last edited by bmwGTR on 18 Apr 2021 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove quote, please do not quote the post above yours

fisherm
Donation rank:

19 Apr 2021 09:47

There's too many "it might be that" possibilities to debug without having your computer in front of me. But I can try and tidy my own notes and post it as a guide in a new thread, and then you can just follow that.

Moderators - is it okay to attach pdfs to posts? The rules only mention that photos must be links.

FarmingSniper

19 Apr 2021 20:28

It was simple .pmd I had to put in the .sii file thankfully that fixed it :D
Last edited by bmwGTR on 20 Apr 2021 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote - please do not quote posts direct above yours

Return to “ProMods Academy”

• Information