Poland Rebuilding - Some things never change

Ask questions about the ETS2 mods here. If useful they will be added to the Q&A / Development updates.
Forum rules
Please do not post any crashes, malfunctions or other issues with the mod in this forum. If you have any issues with the mod, please post them here. This forum is only for questions/feedback towards the team, not for solving crashes.
fphlpsnrg
Donation rank:

25 Mar 2017 07:21

Of course, I was disappointed to learn about the conflicts between the Poland Rebuilding team and the ProMods team. Unfortunately, the problems that Martun pointed out are really nothing new.

In another life, I was the lead architect on, at that time, a successful banking software project. 2 major issues arose: local time and multiple language implementation. On the time issue, I wanted to implement the time recording based upon UTC. That way all transaction activity would have a single point of reference. Display of that information would be based upon the local time zone. Logical, straightforward, simple, and, of course, shot down.

For multiple language implementation, I had designed a system of text lookup that would use a data store of screen text based upon a key. Each display item would then use the key to retrieve the text appropriate for the local language: English, French, Spanish, Czech, Albanian, Arabic, German, Swiss German, and even Katakana. The only dependency would be employing the translators for the target languages. The software would be independent of the market where it would be sold. Management decided that the software would be written in each of the languages that they would market the product. Please choose the appropriate translation of the term "clusterfuck" in your native language.

The late, and sorely missed, Admiral Grace Hopper, US Navy, who had built the computer system that cracked the Japanese military code in WW2 and also invented COBOL, in a lecture, held up a 300 cm (1 ft) piece of copper wire. She stated that it took 1 nanosecond for a byte of information to travel that distance (please remember this was 60 years ago). Her objective was to stress the critical nature for the conservation of code. That is, keep it short, keep it simple, and make damned sure that it is re-usable.

The the design protocols for ProMods modules are a model for stable software development in any environment. I sure as a hell hope you guys are making money doing this.

Volleybal4life
Donation rank:

25 Mar 2017 08:05

We are not making money doing this. We are modding/moderating as a hobby.

I don't know what you are talking about, we just split because of some issues between the two teams. Which was somewhat because of the language barrier, but this wasn't the reason for the breakup at all.
Spamming the forum since June 2014
Weekly driving vids

Some say, I'm addicted to ETS2. But then I say. No, it's ProMods, it's a way of life.
No. 3 forum spammer!

You want a game map?
You get a game map! (ETS2 (WIP))
You get a game map! (ATS (WIP))

Return to “Questions & Feedback ETS2”

• Information