Daily Vehicle Checks

You can talk about anything here (but respect the rules)
MOOSE 6733
Donation rank:

14 Jun 2015 16:36

Hi Guys! :)
Has anyone ever considered doing OR does anyone carry out a 'Walk Around' visual check of their vehicle Before going out on the road, in ETS2?
As an HGV driver here in the UK we have to carry out a 15 minute (minimum) check of the vehicle, before we can take the vehicle out on to the road, (so long as it is roadworthy)! Then you're meant to carry out a similar visual check at the end of your day's driving!
These checks have to be logged and signed for on a form and handed in with all your daily paperwork, time sheets etc.

I realise that in ETS2, actually checking oil; water; air; hydraulics; tyre tread depth/damage; trailer couplings etc., isn't possible to do!

However, I do as a matter of habit do a 'walk around' (pan around) check of my vehicle before setting off each time, making sure that at least the lights etc., function correctly; mirrors; steering; reverse alarm; hazard lights; indicator lights; brake lights, on tractor and trailer; beacons work and the horn works.

It may be completely unnecessary but, it does add an extra element of realism to driving in ETS2!

As an appetiser here's an image of an actual 'walk around' check sheet guide.

Keep on Trucking!
MOOSE 6733 :D
If It Isn't Broken, Don't Try To Fix It! :D

KubaJAM
Donation rank:

14 Jun 2015 16:43

Nice! It would be great if even half of these things were simulated in ETS2. Extensive mechanical failures and damage would be a start ;).

MYE2001

14 Jun 2015 18:13

My English isn`t perfect,so as I understood in here there should be options like checking oil,water etc.,right?I think this is a good idea,it is not very hard to do and it will add a lot of realism to the game,preventing the boredom caused by monotony,but it will require some work,and this checking options will probably be in gas stations.And new gas station prefabs will be made and it will be replaced all the map,by SCS and modders,so replacing gas stations all around the map will require some work.
Last edited by MYE2001 on 14 Jun 2015 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Horizon™
Developer

14 Jun 2015 18:19

Not hard to do,huh? :D All the game's mechanics/scripts/physics should be changed and other complex stuff should be done - don't say EASY.... :)
Post is proudly delivered by Horizon's Logistics
Roaming through desert

Developer of Lithuania
Developer of Kazakhstan
Developer of Iraq

MYE2001

14 Jun 2015 18:23

DeusHorizon wrote:Not hard to do,huh? :D All the game's mechanics/scripts/physics should be changed and other complex stuff should be done - don't say EASY.... :)
It will require some work,I agree.But I think it won`t be very hard (Are 'not very hard' and 'easy' same? There could be a grammatical fault. :D ) Won`t it be something like buying fuel,or I lack some knowledge? :?

Horizon™
Developer

14 Jun 2015 18:53

Not very hard - I'm not sure, but it is hard nor easy. Maybe the checking for water or whatever have to be mixed with sleeping and gas stations, then you check - time goes faster and after you finish, you good to go!
Post is proudly delivered by Horizon's Logistics
Roaming through desert

Developer of Lithuania
Developer of Kazakhstan
Developer of Iraq

MYE2001

14 Jun 2015 20:07

I use it as it is a bit hard,but not very hard.Sorry for inconvenience if there is. :)

MOOSE 6733
Donation rank:

14 Jun 2015 20:22

:) A few of the checks can be made already by clicking the 'dashboard display', options; this already shows air pressure in your air tanks and does drop with over use of the brakes, then needs to be built up to allow the brakes to release!
So some aspects are already recreated in game.

My suggestion or question was weather or not other 'drivers', do a check around their vehicle before driving off each day :?: This is a 'Daily Walk Around Check' of the vehicle, to make sure that everything on your truck is working correctly!

If within the game a defect could be created and if it is found by 'you' the driver (example: head light not working), then it might be an idea if a virtual mechanic would need to be called to fix that defect before you can proceed. :idea:

No, MYE2001, these checks are carried out at your depot before the day's work, not at fuel stations. However, if you are on 'long distance', then the checks should be carried out where ever you have parked over night you see?
In game, that could be at any of the rest areas. :) Another important time to carry out a vehicle check is when you pick up a new trailer! ;)

MOOSE 6733
If It Isn't Broken, Don't Try To Fix It! :D

Aussie Trucker

15 Jun 2015 01:45

MOOSE 6733 wrote::) A few of the checks can be made already by clicking the 'dashboard display', options; this already shows air pressure in your air tanks and does drop with over use of the brakes, then needs to be built up to allow the brakes to release!
So some aspects are already recreated in game.
And while a walk around the truck and a kick of the tyres might be a big job to change something not so big could be tyre pressures and the like on a dashboard display. Plenty of other games have similar things and as much as it would be nice to be editable it doesn't even have to be user editable just something as simple as tyre pressures which rise and fall depending on how the tyres are treated and their wear levels etc would be heaps better than that silly wear guide which does brakes and tyres etc in the repair garage. But that would no doubt be an SCS update/mod not a map makers mod.
MOOSE 6733 wrote: My suggestion or question was weather or not other 'drivers', do a check around their vehicle before driving off each day :?: This is a 'Daily Walk Around Check' of the vehicle, to make sure that everything on your truck is working correctly!
Depending on the trucks we used to do a walk around, check the load, check the trailers, kick the tyres etc but we didn't often bother with oil and water type checks unless it was a truck you hadn't been in for a while or one that hadn't been driven for a while.
MOOSE 6733 wrote: If within the game a defect could be created and if it is found by 'you' the driver (example: head light not working), then it might be an idea if a virtual mechanic would need to be called to fix that defect before you can proceed. :idea:
I like the idea but still think even in it's simplest form it's an SCS job not a map makers job.

MandelSoft
Lead Developer

15 Jun 2015 09:33

Even in the most simple implementation, this would require (re)coding some elements the game. And that's not something modders can do. Only SCS can implement this feature.
Your daily dose of wisdom!
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.

Return to “Off-topic”

• Information